The Tamil Nadu Public Service Commission (TNPSC) sets the exam syllabus for recruitment to the Group 1 services in the state. In this article, you can read and download the revised syllabus for the TNPSC Group 1 Exam 2020-2021.
Salient Points about TNPSC Exam:
The TNPSC Group 1 Exam (check the link for latest info) , officially known as the Combined Civil Service – 1 (CCS-1) is conducted in three stages:
- Prelims – 1 paper (objective type) for 300 marks
- Mains – 3 papers (descriptive) for a total of 750 marks
- Interview – 100 marks
Candidates should go through the detailed TNPSC Group 1 Exam Pattern as there has been a revision by the commission in the exam scheme.
TNPSC Group 1 Syllabus for Mains 2020-2021
The Mains Exam comprises three descriptive papers, and each paper can be subdivided into three units covering broad subject areas.
Unlike the UPSC Mains, there are no optional papers/subjects in the TNPSC Group 1 Exam Syllabus.
The new TNPSC Syllabus for Mains is summarised below:
- Paper 1 – General Studies
- Unit I – Modern History of India and Indian Culture
- Unit II – Social Issues in India and Tamil Nadu
- Unit III – General Aptitude and Mental Ability
- Paper 2 – General Studies
- Unit I – Indian Polity and Emerging Political Trends across the world affecting India
- Unit II – Role and impact of Science and Technology in the Development of India
- Unit III – Tamil Society (Culture and Heritage)
- Paper 3 – General Studies
- Unit I – Geography of India with special reference to Tamil Nadu
- Unit II – Environment, Biodiversity and Disaster Management
- Unit III – Indian Economy and Current Economic Trends and impact of Global Economy on India.
Align your TNPSC Preparation using UPSC preparation articles:
Students while preparing should note that General Studies preparation is mostly similar for UPSC and TNPSC Group 1 exam.
#TNPSC Syllabus of GS 1 – Topics
- Modern History of India and Culture – The similar topics are covered in the GS 1 of UPSC Mains.
- Social Issues in India – It is a broad topic and again is mentioned in the syllabus of civil services mains GS 1 syllabus.
- Welfare Schemes – It is an important topic and has been frequently asked in many government examinations.
To devise a strategy for these topics, BYJU’S brought a strategy post for UPSC Mains GS 1 where the topic-wise strategy has been mentioned. TNPSC Group 1 aspirants also can take a hint from the same post and prepare their own study plan to cover history-related topics mentioned in TNPSC syllabus. Check the UPSC Mains GS 1 strategy at the linked article.
Also; Welfare Schemes and General Aptitude related topics can be referred to in the following links:
- Government Schemes
- Quantitative Aptitude
- Logical Reasoning
#TNPSC Syllabus of GS 2 – Topics
- Indian Polity – Topics like Constitution, Union & State Executive, Legislature, Judiciary, etc are covered in the TNPSC GS 2 syllabus. The similar topics find a place in UPSC GS 2 syllabus.
- Science and Technology – It is covered in GS 3 of Mains (UPSC.)
To devise a strategy for these topics, BYJU’S brought a strategy post for UPSC Mains GS 2 where the topic-wise strategy has been mentioned. TNPSC Group 1 aspirants also can take a hint from the same post and prepare their own study plan to cover Indian polity-related topics mentioned in TNPSC syllabus. Check the UPSC Mains GS 2 strategy at the linked article.
#TNPSC Syllabus of GS 2 – Topics
- Geography – The topics related to the Indian geography are overlapping between TNPSC group 1 syllabus and UPSC syllabus. While Geography is covered in GS 1 of UPSC mains, the following topics are mentioned in GS 3.
- Environment & Biodiversity
- Indian Economy
To devise a strategy for these topics, BYJU’S brought a strategy post for UPSC Mains GS 3 where the topic-wise strategy has been mentioned. TNPSC Group 1 aspirants also can take a hint from the same post and prepare their own study plan to cover Indian Economy- related topics mentioned in TNPSC syllabus. Check the UPSC Mains GS 3 strategy at the linked article.
Note: The syllabus for the state public service commission exams differ from the UPSC Civil Service Exam in one significant aspect, i.e., the preparation has to focus on the subjects from the perspective of the state as well.
E.g., in the TNPSC Group 1 Syllabus, the history, geography, social issues topics, etc. have to be understood from a pan-India perspective and the perspective of Tamil Nadu state.
GET IN TOUCH+91 98406 86562 [email protected]
Administrative Office: 822, Makka Masjid Campus, Anna Salai, Chennai- 600 002 Registered Office:
04, Police Commissioner Office Road, Egmore, Chennai- 600 008