Distance education or distance learning is a mode of delivering education and instruction, often on an individual basis, to students who are not physically present in a traditional setting such as a classroom. Distance learning provides “access to learning when the source of information and the learners are separated by time and distance, or both.” Distance education courses that require a physical on-site presence for any reason (excluding taking examinations) have been referred to as hybrid or blended courses of study. Massive open online courses (MOOCs), aimed at large-scale interactive participation and open access via the web or other network technologies, are a recent development in distance education.
Benefits of Distance Education
- Suitable For Anyone And Everyone
Distance Education suits the diverse educational requirements of students, businessmen, professionals, entrepreneurs and house-wives and is beneficial to any individual who wants to pursue higher education while still continuing with what he/ she is doing.
- Self-Paced Learning
The maximum duration of Distance Education programmes provides its students enough time to complete their programmes. This flexibility is specifically given, keeping in mind that the Distance Education students have other commitments too.
- No Constraint Of Time And Place
Distance Education allows flexibility to study anytime of the day, be it in the wee hours of the morning or at late nights. Students may choose to study in the comfort of their homes, while travelling, while they are in the waiting area of a railway station or an airport, or any other place where they wish to be.
- Multi-Tasking Opportunity
Distance Education provides multi-tasking opportunity to students. Flexibility and convenience, rendered by it, provide the students freedom to heed to their other responsibilities too.
- Age No Bar
Age is no bar for anyone wishing to pursue a Distance Education Programme.
- Increase In Remuneration And Promotion Potential
One can always enhance his/ her academic and professional acumen by opting for Distance Education programme which in turn helps in increasing one’s remuneration and promotional potential. Additional qualification gives an edge to an individual over his peers and colleagues.
List of Distance Educations Institutes
- Indira Gandhi National Open University, New Delhi
- Yashwantrao C Maharashtra Open University, Nasik
- Sikkim Manipal University, Gangtok
- IMT Distance and Open Learning Institute, Ghaziabad
- University of Mumbai
- Maulana Azad National Urdu Universit , Hyderabad
- Dr B R Ambedkar Open University, Hyderabad
- Symbiosis Centre for Distance Learning, Pune
- Dr BabasahebAmbedkar Open University, Ahmedabad
- Annamalai University, Annamalainagar
- Netaji Subhas Open University, Kolkata
- Osmania University, Hyderabad
- Shivaji University, Kolhapur
- M P Bhoj (Open) University, Bhopal
- University of Delhi, New Delhi
- Maharishi Dayanand University, Rohtak
- AcharyaNagarjuna University, Guntur
- SNDT – Women’s University, Mumbai
- Alagappa University, Karaikudi
- Andhra University, Vishakhapatnam
- University of Madras, Chennai
- Himachal Pradesh University, Shimla
- U P Rajarshi Tandon Open University, Allahabad
- Tamil Nadu Open University, Chennai
- Karnataka State Open University, Mysore
- Madurai Kamaraj University, Madurai
- VardhmanMahaveer Open University, Kota
- Kurukshetra University, Kurukshetra
- University of Calicut, Kozhikode
- Kakatiya University
Placement cells of distance learning universities may help with job opportunities
Most of the universities offering distance education have now established dedicated “placement cells” that actively seek to get their students placed in reputed multinationals, government jobs, nongovernmental organizations (NGOs) and the private sector. These placement cells make sure that all registered students get help with job placements, counselling for employment and even self employment.
The Central Placement Cell (CPC) of the University of Delhi also offers its placement services to the students of the School of Open Learning (SOL, DU). “Students pursuing distance education from SOL and students pursuing regular programs from other colleges in Delhi University are treated at par and offered the same services by the CPC,” Dr. Gulshan Sawhney, Deputy Dean, CPC, Delhi University told IndiaEducation.
The Directorate of Distance Education of Sikkim Manipal University (SMUDE) also offers employment assistance to its students through its dedicated placement cell, iRize. The SMU-DE iRize placement assistance for students includes an online portal where students can build and manage profiles, search for jobs online and post job openings. iRize also conducts job fairs/placement drives that are conducted across the country.